Although they are called leaf blowers, these compact machines actually do a lot more than just move leaves. Many people favor them because of their capacity to clear all kinds of debris from yards, landscaping, hard surfaces and even hard-to-reach areas like gutters.
Some people report clearing snow, spider webs, sand, and small gravel. These machines can be used both indoors and out. Some people use small, lightweight models in the wood shop to help clear sawdust and other debris easily.
Some models can be used in reverse as a vacuum. Some items can be used for inflating and deflating tasks and have special attachments to better serve this purpose.
Best Cordless Leaf Blowers – Comparison Table
Why Choose a Cordless Leaf Blower?
If you aren’t currently using a leaf blower for your outdoor debris clearance, you probably are using a variety of tools to achieve the same outcome. You may need a rake for the lawn, a broom for the driveway or patio and other tools for tasks like clearing gutters.
People tend to be creatures of habit. You may be wondering why you should change your routine when you already own all those tools and know how to use them.
The answer is that you may be able to simplify your maintenance routine by adding a cordless leaf blower to your toolset. Having a battery-powered blower may allow you to just grab one machine and go wrap up most of the items on your “Honey Do” list for the weekend.
If you buy the right model, it may make short shrift of a variety of tasks, thereby freeing up more of your weekend to have a life. That can be one of the best possible investments around.
If you have never had a leaf blower, or haven’t purchased one in a while, you may not be familiar with battery-powered blowers. Back in the day, it was common for leaf blowers to have a cord. If they didn’t have a cord, they were gas powered.
In fact, you can still get both electrical models with a cord and gas-powered models. Some people like owning both electrical and battery-operated models to serve different tasks.
Cordless VS Gas-Powered
Some people don’t like gas-powered blowers because they are concerned about the environment. Others don’t like them because gasoline is flammable and storing it can be a safety issue. Still, others don’t like being exposed to the fumes, especially if they have respiratory problems or chemical sensitivities.
Lithium batteries have helped revolutionize small power tools. Leaf blowers are just one such a small tool. These days, a variety of battery-operated leaf blower models are available, making this a much better experience overall than it once was.
Why We Chose These Leaf Blowers
Here are ten different models we looked at and would like to recommend. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Which one is best for you will depend on a variety of factors specific to your life and your needs.
We spent many hours researching these leaf blowers and putting together pertinent information to help you save time while shopping. We will cover the highlights of each in an easy-to-understand format to help make your shopping experience that much better.
For the most part, this list skews to the lightweight tool side. Most of these models are not suited to heavy-duty clearance jobs.
The Best Cordless Leaf Blowers – Products Reviews
1. BLACK+DECKER LSW221 20V MAX Lithium Cordless Sweeper – Best Price
If you are looking for a basic model to do some lightweight debris clearance, this is a great choice. It’s affordably priced, simple and easy to use. It snaps together easily and there are no accessories to worry about.
However, there is a reason it is called a sweeper rather than a blower. You can think of it as being kind of like a hand vac in terms of power and functionality.
In other words, it is not well suited to heavier tasks, such as clearing gutters. It also doesn’t come with any accessories, so it is pretty narrowly focused.
That’s fine if that’s all you want it for. Just be sure you don’t expect more.
Recommended if you just need a lightweight tool and budget is a primary concern. Not recommended if you really need something heavy duty or really need a variety of accessories to achieve your goals.
- Best price.
- Simple to assemble and use.
- Airspeed: Up to 130 MPH.
- The battery holds a charge for up to 18 months.
- Not well suited to heavier tasks.
- No accessories.
2. DEWALT DCBL720P1 20V MAX 5.0 Ah Lithium Ion XR Brushless Blower – Best Ergonomic Design
This model comes with a wide tube and variable air speed. Its top speed is 90 MPH and its top air flow is 400 CFM. Some owners feel that it compares well with models that nominally have twice as much power.
It also has a long battery life, allowing for extended run times. This really makes a difference if you have a big yard or a long task list.
The brushless motor maximizes both motor efficiency and durability. It has an innovative axial fan design for extra air output and long run time.
Buyers really loved the ergonomic design that makes is so comfortable to use. If you are older and have some physical limitations, this may be a great reason to buy this model.
You can easily adjust the speed on the fly to get a little extra oomph when you need it. This is very handy when you are working and trip across some small bit of debris that isn’t budging in the face of a lower air speed.
This model gets rave reviews for its ergonomic design and ease of use. If you are increasingly finding yourself struggling with small tasks, it might be a good idea to start keeping ergonomics in mind when shopping.
Recommended for its combination of ergonomic design, good power and ease of use. Highly recommended for still active individuals who may have some limitations, yet still, desire to keep up with the yard work themselves.
- Variable trigger.
- Speed lock.
- Long battery life.
- Lightweight ergonomic design.
- Battery included.
- Not suitable for heavy-duty jobs.
- Lacks accessories.
- Fairly loud.
3. DEWALT DCE100B 20V MAX Compact Jobsite Blower (Tool Only) – Best Small Space Model, Best Left-handed Model
This moderately priced model has a maximum air speed of 135 MPH. It has a 3-speed variable speed switch, plus a speed trigger to allow for short bursts of extra blowing power.
Its lightweight, compact design is perfect for small jobs, such as cleaning up sawdust in your workshop or dry leaves from your patio. Not necessarily well-suited to blowing large amounts of leaves in a large yard.
Battery and charger are sold separately. Some people complain about the position of the air intake sucking on their clothes if you they are right handed. Great design if you are left-handed.
Recommended for light jobs in small spaces. Recommended for lefties. Not recommended for heavier tasks.
- Great design for left-handed people.
- Excellent tool for cleaning up small spaces, such as a woodworking shop in the garage.
- Battery sold separately.
- Battery plus charger sold separately.
- Potentially problematic design if you are right-handed.
4. EGO Power+ 480 CFM 3-Speed Turbo 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Blower – Best Power Blower For Its Size
This moderately priced model is just the blower. It does not come with any accessories. It doesn’t even include a battery. If you don’t already own a compatible battery model, you will need to purchase one separately.
However, if you already own other tools from this brand, you may already have a battery compatible with this device. It takes any of the EGO POWER+ lithium batteries.
If you are a fan of this brand, as some people are, you may even already have two different-sized batteries. If so, you can use them successively, thereby allowing you to extend the run time substantially so as to cover a large area in one go.
It is a variable speed model that delivers anywhere from 250 CFM to 480 CFM blowing power, allowing you to clean up even tough jobs. Do keep in mind that the more you rev the engine, the quicker the battery will be drained.
Weather-resistant design, but a can get heavy to carry around, especially during long sessions. You may want to buy a shoulder strap to help ease the burden.
Recommended if you are looking for a strong blower that’s not excessively loud. Also recommended if you already have a compatible battery because you are a fan of this brand of tools.
- Compatible with all EGO POWER+ Arc Lithium Batteries
- You can own more than one battery pack for it, thereby extending its usage for large jobs.
- You can purchase some accessories separately, such as a shoulder strap.
- Strong air flow really clears even tough jobs.
- Surprisingly quiet for the strength of the airflow.
- Battery not included.
- EGO may not honor the warranty if purchased through a third party source.
- No accessories included.
5. Greenworks 40V 150 MPH Variable Speed Cordless Blower, 2.0 AH Battery Included 24252 – Best Driveway Cleaner
This moderately priced model comes with both a battery pack and a tube extension. The extension helps you reach hard-to-reach areas.
The battery on this variable speed model lasts up to 25 minutes at full speed. It lasts up to 45 minutes when varying the speed. This compares favorably to some other models.
Its maximum airspeed is 150 MPH. It has a lightweight design, allowing for good control over the unit.
Some customers have complained of defects in the product. It may lack adequate safety features and may be a potential fire hazard if left unattended while charging.
- Comes with a battery pack.
- Extension tube included.
- Good battery life allows for extended use.
- Not suitable for heavier tasks.
- Complaints of defects in the product.
- May lack adequate safety features. Be leery of it plugging it in unattended.
6. Makita XBU02Z 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Blower, Tool Only – Best Blower Vac Combo
This tool comes with an unusual feature: You can also use it as a vacuum for your yard, garage or similar. This combination blower and vacuum can help you make quick work of minor yard work without having to get out any other tools.
The variable speed brushless motor has an air speed up to 185 MPH. It has a long run time, good torque and good power. It’s design reduces wear and tear, thereby extending the life of the item.
It claims it can handle both dry and wet leaves. Reports from owners vary. It may depend in part on the type of the leaf. Pine needles may be problematic.
It has two different switches. One to turn it on or off, the other to set it to hi or low. It also has a separate dial to adjust the speed. Some customers feel this is overly complicated.
Recommended if you want to have a two-in-one tool for yard work.
- Clever two-in-one design.
- Comes with battery pack and charger.
- Only compatible with GreenWorks G-MAX 40V Battery models 29472 and 29462.
- Only compatible with G-MAX Charger model 29482
- Not cross compatible with 40V G-MAX and 40V Lithium-Ion Batteries.
- Relatively complicated controls.
7. Milwaukee 0884-20 M18 18 V Litio Ion 100 CFM 160 MPH Inalámbrico Compacto Multipropósito Utility Blower – Best Serious Blower
This is a surprisingly powerful leaf blower. It is well suited to some of your heavier jobs, such as climbing up on the roof periodically and clearing a backlog of accumulated leaves.
All this power comes with a small downside. It is a bit on the heavy side, so it may be burdensome for a petite individual to handle it regularly.
It lets you choose between six different settings for airspeed/volume. The controls list out speed options as 1-6.
- Settings 1 and 2 will let you clean up light debris, such as sawdust, without disturbing hand tools or similar items.
- Settings 3 and 4 are for general cleanup. Most people will use these two settings the most. At these settings, the battery has a decent life.
- Settings 5 and 6 are for jobs calling for more power. Of course, the higher the settings, the quicker it will drain the battery.
The tool is designed with an in-line fan. This makes the tool well balanced and more ergonomic. You mostly don’t need to worry about it sucking at your clothing like some designs may do.
If you already have a compatible charger and batteries, you can purchase just the tool by itself. Alternatively, you can buy it with a charger and two batteries, or with a charger and four batteries.
It uses two batteries at a time, so two batteries are the minimum. If you are wanting to make sure you have “extra” batteries for longer run time jobs, you will need four batteries, not two.
Recommended if you need a tool that will do some of the heavier jobs you have in mind while still providing gentle airspeeds for more delicate work.
- It can be purchased alone or with a charger and battery kit.
- It can be purchased with either two or four batteries.
- Excellent controls allow you to pick your max speed, among other things.
- Kit with cordless grinder also available.
- Low noise.
- Batteries are not automatically included. Pay attention to which you are buying. If you need batteries, check to make sure you are buying a version with batteries.
- A charger and batteries will cost you extra.
- It is a bit on the heavy side.
8. WORX WG545.1 AIR 20V PowerShare Lightweight Cordless Battery-Powered Leaf Blower/Sweeper with Accessory Attachments and Bag – Best Super Small Blower
This blower is especially small, making it suitable for small jobs in tight spaces, such as using it to blow debris out of the floor boards of your vehicle. This also means it will be very comfortable to use for petite individuals or people with limited strength.
Weirdly, there doesn’t seem to be an English version of this product page. For your convenience, here is an English translation of the Spanish product description:
- THE FLEXIBLE NOZZLE helps prevent wear on your delicate surfaces around the house
- 3-SPEED ELECTRONIC SWITCH: Whether you’re detailing the inside of your car, dusting your shop or blowing leaves outdoors, you can change the speed setting to fit the job
- The LOCK-ON SWITCH prevents fatigue in your fingers, allowing you to use both hands to control the blower the way you want without the need for a trigger
- ABSORBENT SHOCK POLYMER helps reduce the risk of damage to this unit
- INFLATOR / DEFLATOR ADD-ON: connect this accessory directly to the blower, and you can inflate or deflate any element that matches this nozzle
This gets excellent reviews for how small and lightweight it is. Even people who actively want to trash talk it for some reason admit that it is one of their most used tools because it’s so darn handy. You may find yourself reaching for it for a variety of jobs that you would never dream of trying to do by dragging out a heavy-duty model.
Recommended for small jobs in tight spaces or diminutive DIY types who want a tool they can comfortably handle. Also recommended for lefties.
- If you are left-handed, you will appreciate the positioning of the air intake.
- Really tiny, lightweight and easy to use.
- If you are right-handed, the air intake may be a nuisance for you.
- If you want a lot of power, this is not the right blower for you.
- You may find this is a speciality tool and a second, a larger blower is warranted as well.
9. WORX WG546 Turbine 20V PowerShare 2-Speed Cordless Battery-Powered Leaf Blower – Best Smaller Model With Multiple Accessories, Including Inflating/Deflating Attachments
This is an ultra lightweight tool with a maximum air speed of 120 MPH and an air flow of 80 CFM. At just 3.5 pounds, its a breeze to use, even for people with less strength, such as the elderly or youths.
Its compact design also makes it easy to find storage space. No need to get creative with bicycle hooks for this model.
It comes with eight different attachments, making it perfect for clearing out hard-to-reach nooks, crannies and odd corners. It also is designed to provide air flow for inflating or deflating tasks.
This might be mean inflating an air mattress when unexpected overnight guests drop by. It might mean deflating the same mattress to rapidly return a temporary guest space to its usual usage.
It might also mean inflating kiddie pools, floating toys and similar. Again, you can break it out to deflate the same when fun time is over and it’s time to put things away quickly and efficiently.
Its low airspeed makes it great for clearing hard surfaces outdoors, such as driveways and patios. It also performs well in enclosed spaces, such as garages and workshops.
Customer reviews suggest it only runs for about twenty minutes (or less) while requiring two hours to charge. On the upside, this is less charge time than the five hours listed in the product description.
It further claims that you can use it to clear a large area. Happily, customers generally agree that it does a great job on a fairly large area in as little as twenty minutes.
It’s a great tool for small and light jobs. You should be happy with it so long as you don’t expect to use it for any heavy-duty clearance jobs. Make sure you understand the scope of the intended tasks and purchase accordingly.
Recommended if you need an ultra lightweight model. Also recommended if you are looking for a model with multiple attachments.
- Ultra lightweight.
- Comes with eight attachments.
- Designed to also handle inflating and deflating tasks around the house.
- The battery is compatible with other WORX brand tools using the 20V Power Share platform.
- Possible to purchase it with a high-capacity battery to extend run time over the normal battery.
- Not suitable for heavy-duty tasks.
- Customer reviews contradict the claim of super long battery run time.
- Some customers are happier when adding a double-capacity, third-party battery for longer run times.
This two-speed design is lightweight and ergonomic, making it easy to work one-handed. It provides a high capacity air volume of 340 CFM.
It’s so small and lightweight, it makes a great addition for a household that already owns a more heavy duty leaf blower. It’s also great for people with less strength and for use in tight spaces.
It requires no tools to assemble. Please read the manual first, then just snap together.
The model in question comes with a single battery. You can also purchase it with no battery, two batteries or three batteries.
Why would you want to purchase a tool with no battery? You might do this if you already own compatible batteries from the WORX line of tools. If you are already a fan of WORX tools, getting this on the cheap by buying it without a battery may make perfect sense.
Why would you want to purchase extra batteries? Extra batteries can provide longer run times. They can also serve as insurance to make sure it works even if you forgot to recharge the battery the last time you used it.
Recommended if want a streamlined two-speed leaf blower, especially if you already have compatible batteries to go with it.
- Has options to buy with one, two, three or zero batteries.
- Can share batteries with other WORX tools.
- Quieter than larger models with more power.
- Some customers complain of defective short-lived batteries.
- Not suitable for heavy-duty tasks
Cordless Leaf Blowers Buyer’s Guide
If you have never had a battery-powered leaf blower, it may be time to get one. It gives you tremendously more freedom of movement than an electric model with a long extension cord. This can dramatically reduce the time and effort involved in handling cleanup around your property.
If you are tired of plugging in a long extension cord, blowing the front porch, coiling the cord back up, then moving the plug to another outlet so you can reach some other area that needs some cleanup, you should seriously consider getting a battery-powered blower. The freedom and ease of use are vastly superior to electric models that come with a cord that must be plugged in somewhere.
A battery-powered model is also generally less hassle than a gas-powered model. The freedom to plug it in anywhere, anytime is a far superior consumer experience compared to needing to purchase and store gasoline.
First Things First
For starters, it’s simply much more convenient. You don’t need to make any special trips anywhere, nor do you need any special storage devices or safety measures.
Because it is flammable, gasoline is a potential safety hazard. For this reason alone, it requires special care in handling and storage. It also requires special containers that need to be purchased separately.
The fumes from gasoline also are problematic for people with various medical conditions, such as allergies and respiratory problems. If you have any loved ones with health issues or are simply concerned about the normal aging process, you might want to think twice before relying upon a gas-powered model instead of a battery-powered model.
Best Leaf Blowers Functions
Stop and take a few minutes to think about the tasks you have in mind. Do you need accessories to complete those tasks? Or are you just looking for something lightweight and easy to use?
Here are some tasks that you might be thinking about when considering buying a leaf blower:
- Blowing dry leaves from the yard instead of raking.
- Removing wet leaves, which takes more power than dry.
- Blowing debris from hard surfaces, such as driveways, patios or porches.
- Removing debris out of the floorboards, trunk or truck bed of your vehicle.
- Clearing the roof of debris periodically, including clearing the gutters.
- Cleaning up sawdust and other lightweight debris from your workshop.
- Blowing away debris around landscaping without harming the greenery.
- Fanning a campfire.
- Blow drying a motorcycle.
Each of those tasks calls for a certain amount of airspeed and may call for other function details:
- To give a burst of speed to get the job done.
- To gentle air flow to do it right.
- To have not strong air flow to do it at all.
Here are a few other questions to ask yourself while thinking about the functionality you have in mind for a leaf blower purchasing decision:
- Are there other functional details that matter to you?
- Are you right handed or left handed?
- Do you want it to also work as a vacuum?
- Do you also want to use it for inflating and deflating tasks?
Leaf Blowers Versatility
How much versatility in airspeed do you want? Is it more important to you to have that versatility or to have simple controls? Generally speaking, more options for airspeed also mean more complicated controls.
If you want to use it for tasks involving gentle airflow, such as clearing sawdust from around tools without disturbing the tools, you may need to check if the unit can provide that level of airflow at all. If you also want it to provide heavy duty airflow for serious tasks, you may be looking for a unit with a broad range of ability.
Many people will want a tool primarily for a particular kind of task. It may be nice to have other abilities, but the success of the tool hinges on its ability to do this one thing and do it well. Everything else is just gravy.
Other people will want to do a variety of things reasonably well. If it can’t do several different things, then it’s a failure in their eyes.
You need to be realistic about which category best describes you while shopping for your personal best leaf blower. If you really, truly need it to do a specific thing, don’t compromise on that by getting distracted by promises of shiny, happy options. Make sure you are clear about your needs and priorities and buy accordingly.
What Batteries Should Be Included to the Best Cordless Leaf Blower?
How long will the battery hold a charge while stored? How long can you run the item on a single battery charge?
Does it come with a battery or will you need to purchase that separately? Does it come with a battery charger or will you need to purchase that separately?
Do you already have some power tools with battery packs? Are they the same brand? Are the batteries you already own compatible with the model you are considering buying?
If the run time is not sufficient for your needs, do you want to buy extra batteries to extend the run time? If you already own multiple compatible batteries, does that already give you that option, thereby extending the usability of the model with no extra effort or expense?
Battery power determines just how much you can get done. If you are used to plugging in an electric model, this may be a new limitation that you have never really thought about. You may think it doesn’t really matter all that much. If that’s what you think, you will likely find yourself sorely mistaken.
Power of Leaf Blowers
How do you envision using this? Think about your home and the kinds of tasks you have in mind. Make sure the one you purchase is actually suitable to the tasks you are planning to tackle with it.
Do you just need a lightweight sweeper? Or are you looking for the ability to do heavier tasks?
Are you primarily wanting to clean up lightweight debris, like sawdust in your woodworking shop? Or do you really need this to work with wet, sticky leaves in your yard or even gutters?
Some people strongly prefer a certain brand. It’s familiar and they trust the company. Furthermore, tools made by the same company tend to have some design themes in common. This fact can make it easier to adapt to a new tool purchase.
Even if you never intended to become a brand loyalist, it may simply be more practical to buy a blower from the same company that made other power tools that you currently own. Some companies are very good about using a common charging system and some or all of their batteries may be compatible with multiple different tools.
This may not mean that you wind up with fewer batteries per se. If you have more than one tool that uses a particular type of rechargeable battery, you may want extra batteries to make sure you can actually use all your tools the same weekend.
So you may find that you want four or more batteries instead of one or two. But you will only need one charger and you won’t have to keep track of which battery and charger go with which tool.
Such a setup provides the added bonus that if you have multiple batteries that fit this blower, it de facto extends the run time. This means the occasional big job can be easily handled in one go, even if it is more than a single charge on a single battery could possibly handle.
Our Best Choice
Our favorite is number 7. Milwaukee 0884-20 M18 18 V Litio Ion 100 CFM 160 MPH Inalámbrico Compacto Multipropósito Utility Blower – Best Serious Blower. Although a little on the heavy side, it comes with six speeds, simple controls, and ergonomic design. This makes it the best of most worlds.
Honorable mention goes to number 8. WORX WG545.1 AIR 20V PowerShare Lightweight Cordless Battery-Powered Leaf Blower/Sweeper with Accessory Attachments and Bag – Best Super Small Blower because it is just so darn handy. If you can afford it, you might want to consider getting both. You may be astonished at how much you love each for their respective uses.
But do make sure you spend some time and think about your specific situation so as to pick the one that is best for you. The best blower is the one that works best for you. When push comes to shove, no one else’s opinion trumps that fact.